Name:

37, college grad, 2x married, one son, one stepdaughter, four cats, one idiot dog, one very small house and small garden.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Procrastination Station

WELL! Haven't we had a week. Actually, I guess everyone has had a week. But not like ours.

The week started off with a major marital meltdown that was resolved with a rather strange agreement not to argue again until we're 70. I don't know if that's realistic, but I must report that cessation of hostilities has had a beneficial effect. It's one of those 'it's just so crazy it just might work' ideas. At the very least, we don't have to worry about calling in U.N. Peacekeeping forces anymore.

Then Bruce's truck got completely smushed by a diesel rig making an illegal right hand turn. No one was seriously injured, and I'm extremely grateful for that. But oddly enough, it got me to thinking about how much we procrastinate around here. Of course, I'll tell you why, no need to ask.

Our normal modus operandi is to decide what we want to do (paint the kitchen, clean out the garage, refinish the wood floors, etc.), make a game plan for doing it, possibly go out and buy the supplies to do the job, then...sit and stare at the undone project for the next year until we've quite forgotten what the project is. Then we come up with a new project. This method works very well for us; we may never get anything done, but we also haven't spent a lot of time in back-breaking labor, so it all comes out in the wash.

Except this time. For some unknown reason, Bruce decided to actually do something instead of just talk about it. You see, a few weeks ago, an object flew up in front of his truck on the freeway and shattered his front grille. Normally, he would just leave it for a couple of years, talking about getting it fixed every weekend, but never actually doing it. I don't have a clue what bug flew up his butt and got him motivated, but he actually did get the grille fixed in a timely manner, to the tune of three hundred dollars. One week later, his truck got totaled. He could have saved the three hundred bucks to pay for the rental truck he's having to use for deliveries.

What on earth possessed him to actually do something about anything? It's just not our style. Then the one time he actually doesn't procrastinate, his good deed is punished. I don't know about you, but I'd say this is a sign From Above. I think this is God's way of saying, "Look, I created the two of you to be complete human slugs, so don't screw it up again!" I guess even procrastinators have their place in the cosmic order.

My place is at the end of the line, reading a book and hoping my number won't be called anytime in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home